Parent, Guardian, and Family Hub

Your Support Goes a Long Way

Help your student thrive in and out of the classroom.

Quick Links

Mother and daughter baking together

Consultation for Parents, Guardians, and Family Members

When students are in crisis or feel overwhelmed, they often turn to their families for help and advice. Family members and guardians can be helpful in so many ways, but they may not always know where to turn for support and resources. Parents Matter is a free consultation service for parents, guardians, and family members offered by CAPS, a component of Campus Health. We want your student to succeed in life just as much as you do, and we're here to help you help them.

Contact Us

If you're parent or family member and are concerned about your UArizona student, you can consult with a CAPS counselor. Call us at 520-621-3334 or send an email:

There are many ways to get support for you and your student. 

The CAPS team includes counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health clinicians who are all here to help your student thrive. Through CAPS Care Pathways, we work with students to create individualized Care Plan that meets their unique need and goals.

Contact Us

If you're parent or family member and are concerned about your UArizona student, you can consult with a CAPS counselor. Call us at 520-621-3334 or send an email:

Frequently Asked Questions

There are costs associated with some services at CAPS. We accept some major health insurance plans, but you don't need health insurance to use CAPS. We are committed to serving the mental health needs of every University of Arizona student. We offer a student discounted rate as an option for all students, but if cost is a barrier for you, please call us at (520) 621-3334. 

Find out more information about fees and insurance.

Our Survivor Support Services program is committed to the empowerment and healing of student survivors. We provide confidential services for students of all genders who have experienced sexual or gender-based violence including sexual assault, relationship violence, and stalking. Find out more about Survivor Support Services.

There are lots of ways for students to get involved. Here are some programs, clubs, and organizations to check out.

Many of us have experienced brief episodes of depression in our lives. Sometimes the feelings pass on their own, but depression that lingers may required professional intervention. Depression may be precipitated by a significant loss, such as of a loved one or special role in life. The way we think and our expectations for ourselves can also set us up for depression, especially if things don't go according to plan.

Here are some common signs of depression: 

  • Persistent sadness, excessive crying
  • Social withdrawal
  • Feeling helpless, hopeless, worthless
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating and remembering
  • Anger, irritability
  • Sleep/appetite problems

Your son may look to you as a role model and may view you as a major resource for guidance and help.  Your willingness to be there—to listen, to support and encourage, to share your knowledge and experience, to advise—plays a significant role in your son’s persistence and success.  Discuss with your son the option of coming to CAPS and speaking with a professional who can help. Your son may be skeptical and reluctant to seek help. It's important for you to accept his reaction, while calmly repeating your recommendation.

Professional staff is available every day. Find out how your son can get started or call us at 520-621-3334 if you'd like to consult with a counselor about your son.

If you're not sure if your son's drinking is a problem, view these screening questions or have him take a free mental health screening.

Find out more information about CAPS services for alcohol and other drug concerns.

Ask your daughter to talk to you about how it is to be at the University and what her days have been like. Listen to what she has to say without giving advice or solutions right away. Just let her talk to you about what's going on and how she's dealing with things. Ask her what she worries about and what she thinks might help her. Let her know that going to college is a big change and that stress is natural in this situation. Adjusting to being away from home, having to make decisions for herself, and trying to figure everything out takes time, maybe several weeks. Encourage her to have fun and to begin to develop friendships with people she can talk to. Tell her that you have faith in her and that you support her and will be there for her. Ask her to stay in touch with you on a regular basis. If she continues to have problems adjusting or feeling overwhelmed, suggest she talk to someone at CAPS about her stress.

Additional Resources: 

There are many ways to get support for eating and body image concernsOur multidisciplinary EAT team includes counselors, psychiatrists, dieticians, and medical providers that specialize in disordered eating and body image concerns. We work together to support your student through recovery. Meet the EAT team mental health providers.

Parents Matter is sponsored by The University of Arizona Parents and Family Association. Parents Matter is the winner of the 2001 Pacific Coast College Health Association Golden Gull Award for Best in Show and Best Counseling Practices.