Why We Love Workshops
(and Think You Will Too)
Big changes can happen when you learn a new skill.
They're an easy way to support your emotional wellness.
Workshops are structured like a classroom where your participation level is up to you.
You get to hear from others who get what you're going through.
The lessons learned in a workshop can last a lifetime.
2021 CAPS Patient Satisfaction Survey
Workshop Offerings & Schedule
We want our workshops to work for you. That's why each workshop is offered on multiple days and times, and new sessions are added every week.
Anxiety Toolbox is a workshop developed by Cal Poly and focuses on helping you understand anxiety symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to:
- understanding anxiety
- introducing a method for slowing down and disentangling the experience of anxiety
- developing alternative responses to anxiety
By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for managing anxiety.
Getting Unstuck, also developed by Cal Poly, focuses on helping you understand depressive symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to:
- understanding depression
- exploring how thoughts and behaviors impact depression
- addressing how you can begin to make changes to thoughts and behaviors in order to better manage depression
By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for getting unstuck!
Life can involve shifts, unexpected changes, loss, and struggles. The adjustments and hardships that we experience don’t have to define our lives, but they can sure make life difficult!
Sailing through the Storm is a workshop designed to give you tools to navigate struggles toward meaningful and fulfilling horizons. In it, facilitators educate students about neurophysiological responses to threat and self-care. Students will pick up mindfulness-based strategies to better manage distress. Facilitators will guide students in moving forward when feeling overwhelmed and discouraged.
Recognition, insight, and openness for mental calm and clarity.
Recognition, Insight, Openness (RIO) focuses on building skills and creating flexibility in how you respond to distress. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to:
- helping you gain a deeper understanding of your concerns
- creating flexibility in how you view and approach these issues
- helping you take steps toward living with a wide range of emotions
By the end of the workshop, you will have a better sense of your personal values and how you want to focus your energy.
Stronger Than: 4 Steps to Resilience is a workshop that give you actionable tools for thriving in response to stress and challenging situations. By the end of the three sessions you will have:
- a personalized wellness assessment and an actionable plan for increasing wellness
- the ability to look at failure from a new perspective that enables you to learn from your experiences
- a personalized mission statement that serves as a roadmap for your long-term goals
How to Join a Workshop
Workshops are available to all students! To join a workshop, simply call CAPS (520-621-3334) to schedule or have a brief meeting with a counselor to get started. If you are already connected to CAPS services, just let your counselor know that you'd like to join.
How Workshops Work
- CAPS workshops are currently meeting online by HIPAA-compliant video conference.
- You can attend more than one workshop series at a time.
- Once you've finished a workshop series, you can go through it again as many times as you like.
- There is a one-time $30 fee charged at the first workshop in the series. If this is a barrier for you, please call us at 520-621-3334. The fee includes three 50 minute sessions, the student workbook, and the option to reassess your needs at completion of the workshop series.
- To get the complete experience, students must come to each session on time.